Friday, August 5, 2011

Day 6 - Robin

Today the team worked at the Forest Lake Baptist Church distribution center. We helped survivors shop for items such as clothes, toiletries, stuffed animals, furniture, etc. My favorite part of the day was meeting a little boy named Joshua. Joshua is about 10 years old and his home had been completely destroyed by the tornado that hit Alberta, a small neighboring community on the outskirts of Tuscaloosa.

Joshua and his family went into a closet to ride out the tornado. Are you ready for a miracle story? There was a king bed that was in the bedroom adjacent to the closet where the family was staying. In the midst of the storm, that king bed was blown away but a twin mattress was blown into the home and against the closet door; this mattress protected the family from the flying debris and glass that could have easily caused injuries or even death. Isn't God amazing?!

As I talked with Joshua today he told me about his experience during and immediately after the tornado. He described in vivid detail the mangled bodies of those that did not survive the storm. The things that this little boy saw in the minutes following the tornado simply amaze me. What amazes me even more is his resiliency. Despite the trauma he had endured he was still able to see hope. When I asked him how he was dealing with everything that had happened to him he replied that he prays a lot and asks God to give him strength and comfort. I was in awe of this small boy with such a large faith. I could see how God has already been working in this child's life...please pray that Joshua will continue serving the Lord and staying strong in his faith. After Joshua's mom loaded her furniture it was time for him to go. He gave me a hug and said he hoped to see me again. With that he walked to his car and he and his mom drove off.

As I watched him leave my heart began to ache. I wondered to myself where life will take Joshua. What trials will he endure? What happy memories will he make? I asked God to watch over my new friend and I have to trust that God will be faithful in answering that prayer.

To say this trip has been amazing is a gross understatement. This trip has been one of the best experiences of my life! A piece of me will always be with the people here in Alabama. They have blessed me and I am grateful to them for teaching me about what it means to continue living when life looks the darkest. I am also grateful for those that have served with me on this team. I have bonded with them and am so blessed to have grown alongside them this week.

God is ALWAYS faithful and He is at work all around us, we just have to be open to letting Him use us to carry out his perfect plan!

Blessings to you all!
Robin

1 comment:

  1. Baby Girl:
    You and the team epitomize the statement "great service begins in the hearts of the servants, not in thier processes or tools".

    ...the twin mattress :) His Plan and Grace!!!

    Love u Dad

    ReplyDelete