Monday, June 30, 2014

Trisha---June 30, 2014

We had a great day today. We went to Gotas and worked in the schools there. It took about an hour driving to get there. Kelsey and I rode in the back of the pickup, and it got a little bumpy! When we got there Shalea and Viatris worked with the Kindergarten class, Mark, Todd, and Samuel (interpreter) worked with the older children, and Valerie, Kelsey, and I worked with grades 1-3. There were over 40 students in  our room, and we definitely needed reinforcements! Valerie did a great job interpreting, as usual. We taught them about the Fruit of the Spirit. We then gave them salvation beads and taught them to make bracelets. There were beads everywhere! LOL! While there was a bit of chaos, I believe the children got the main lesson...Jesus loved us enough to die for our sins, and He continues to love us and wants us to live with Him in Eternity if we accept Him as our Savior. Mark spent time with the teachers when we finished...sort of like an inservice. They asked him questions and he told them a little about how we did things in the States. The schools are primitive according to our standards, but it was full of learning, active, loving students, and I thank God for the opportunity to serve Him in this beautiful country.

Valerie was teaching the students "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" when I felt a little hand tug on mine. I looked down and the most precious little boy (Jose) was pulling me down to his level. I started helping him with the motions, and I fell instantly in love. Audrey told me later his mom has a mental disorder and he usually takes care of the household. He has grandparents that love him dearly, and I am sure they are doing the best they can. He couldn't have been more than 8 or 9 years old. The rest of the morning he wanted to be right by my side...or Kelsey's...or Valerie's. He just wanted someone's undivided attention, and we were happy to take turns giving it to him! When we left, he seemed to be so sad. Please pray that Jose will see the Father's love in others, and accept that love for his own. He is the one sitting on my lap in the picture below.

Thank you for your prayers...God is doing a mighty work in this beautiful country!




No comments:

Post a Comment