Thursday, March 17, 2011

Marissa

Wow, I can't believe the week is already over! This week in Honduras has been amazing, I am so unbelievable blessed to be down here with such a great team.

I should start by saying that I came very close to backing out of the trip about a week before we left. Going to a foreign country alone with no parental guidance is out of my comfort zone to say the least. I am not really known for my outgoing personality, but I am so happy I decided to come. The devil did just about everything to try and prevent me from getting here, and now I see why. God is doing great things with the people of Honduras!

The first two days in the villages was with Tami and Sean in a place called Agua Caliente. We were teaching four bible stories to youth and young children. They were very shy at first, but with the help of our great translator, Marcia, they eventually opened up to us. Even though I know it was very hard for them, they even worked up enough courage to retell the stories back to us! It was an amazing thing to watch. The children loved to play games and were so much fun!

The third day was spent with Jase and Garrison in Bonete..what an adventure! I am the kind of person who likes a plan, and for those of you who know Jase know that this is definitely not his personality. We were told to "just wing it" which was scary at first, but turned out well in the end! The kids of this village were so happy to see us, and listened to the stories extremely well. I was very impressed.

The fourth day was possibly the hardest day of them all. Not only was it my last day in Honduras, but the village we were in was extremely poor. Can you imagine life without running water? I know I can't, but this is everyday life for the families of this village. They live off of rain water that runs off of the roof, which is filled with bugs and filth. Their lack of water made me think of my life back home and how much I take for granted. Also in this village, there was a child named Alberto. This precious little boy is nine years old and is not able to walk. Not only is he forced to stay in a one room house with eight other people, but the family is so poor that they do not have enough food to keep him healthy. This family is suffering very much. Seeing this and feeling like there is nothing I can do is definitely the hardest thing I have ever had to do. There will be doctors going to see him very soon and any and all prayers would be great. I know Alberto and his village will be at the top of my prayer list.

I am so blessed to have the opportunity to come here this week. I can't even describe how happy I am to be here. Thanks for all the prayers for all of us here! I am so appreciative of the support we have from our brothers and sisters in Christ!


No comments:

Post a Comment