Sunday, March 13, 2011

My First Chorti Church Service

I was amazed by the friendliness and welcoming spirit of the Chorti. The pastor met us at the door and welcomed us to the service. The person in charge of singing was excellent, and I loved the music that was selected. The first opportunity for prayer was awesome. Every voice (with the exception of the "gringos") went up in prayer. It was amazing. I was very blessed by the opportunity to be a part of this service.
The pastor, Elias, was very passionate about the service. His first verse was Deut. 11:18 and he spoke about the importance of teaching the children about God. He emphasized the need for God both spiritually and intellectually. He also said that we must repeatedly tell our children about God and it should be part of our daily routine. Elias also used Isaiah 40: 8 which says "the grass without the flower fades, but our God will stand forever!" I was blessed by his enthusiasm and his ability to connect with the congregation (There were several times that I was unable to translate for Trish because I was so involved in his sermon.) There was another verse (that I missed because I didn't get the book (It was Jeremiah......I just missed that one.) The last verse was I Corinthians 10:11 telling us that God's word is "written down from the ages." The entire service was a blessing. I'm so thankful that I've got this amazing opportunity to serve God AND to see Him work in the lives of the Chorti.
Please keep praying!!! We've had a few obstacles, but nothing will keep his from doing His will.

2 comments:

  1. Who posted this?.. I'm assuming Micah?.. Since he was translating?.. Am I right?.. Praise God you all made it safely!.. So good to read the excitement through your description of words to be there to do a work!..
    Thanks for taking the time to go serve!
    We love you all,
    The Jones'
    Riki, Randy, Morgan, and Madison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie posted this. She is translating for us. Micah, Kim, and Joe were unable to go. Paula has been sick and is in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete