Thursday, July 3, 2014

Shalea---July 3, 2014


Tonight is our last night here in Honduras. We have been blessed beyond belief! It is amazing how God opened doors for us each step of the way. There are no words to express our daily experiences here, but I will try. Today we visited the village of Aldea Nueva. This is the village that FBC has made donations to help them get water up to their village. Mark and Steve made the journey to the top to see the recent progress. Viatris and I were fortunate enough to get to teach in their Pre-K/Kindergarten classroom. The classroom was at the top of a steep hill, and there was a little path for the children to make their way to the school. Just imagine going to school right at the edge of the Grand Canyon. The view from where we were was similar to my recollection of the beauty when standing at the rim of the Canyon. There was a river running through the valley down below. The children just ran and played all along the hill. They are blessed with the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. As we entered the classroom, we were met with a frightened three-year-old girl. You would have thought that I had come dressed in a scary costume by the way she looked at me and screamed! Like many of the other villages, these children have never been off of the mountain. I am sure that a blond-haired lady in a flowered dress may look a little scary! She warmed up to us quickly. Gabby assisted us as we taught them about the Bible. We made caterpillar stick verses and colored bead bracelets. The children ranged in age from three to five. They listened as Viatris translated our lesson into Spanish. They just stared and smiled at me when I sang songs in English. After the lesson, it was time for their lunch that consisted of red beans, about a cup of rice, and two small tortillas. They were not provided a drink that I saw, but they were content. There was no complaining or fussing, which was amazing to me, given their age. My heart was full of love for this group! I cannot wait to come back here when I can. We have made a list of things that we hope to bring to the classroom when we return. Honduras will forever be etched in my heart! Please pray for Edgardo and all of the work that he is doing here with the Chorti. Also, pray for our safe journey home tomorrow. Jimmy is picking us up at 5:30 AM, so it will be a long day. Thanks again to all of you who helped our team get to come here for this Mission trip. I will treasure this experience for the rest of my life.

Shalea



No comments:

Post a Comment