Saturday, July 27, 2013

Honduras 2013---Sarah

          I am so thankful I have had the chance to come back to Honduras. It has been five years since I first came to this wonderful country. I have missed it here!
          Five years ago, while attending South Plains College and interning at First Baptist Church of Seminole, I was a business major. I remember hiking to a small village in the mountains of Honduras named Las Brisas. While there, I saw a kindergarten classroom made from sticks with a dirt floor. The students had desks and seats made by resting a board across a few posts. A piece of tin rested above for a roof. This was like no classroom I had ever seen. At the time, their teacher was not allowed to teach (for political reasons) within the school. Seeing the situation in Las Brisas made my heart hurt. It was within the walls of the tiny classroom that I decided to change my major from business to education. I wanted to teach. As soon as I returned to the United States, I wasted no time in making my change and I continued praying for the school in Honduras.
          The first place we visited this week was a small village in the mountains of Honduras named Las Brisas! As soon as I saw the tiny classroom, I could not believe I was actually getting to return to the same place that changed my entire career path! For five years, I have prayed for this school. When I walked into the tiny room, I saw desks that they received two weeks ago, half of the room is taken up by stacks of bricks that are going to be used to build a brand new kindergarten, and best of all, students sitting in the desks. Prayers that I have sent up for that school have been answered! If I had left for Seminole that evening, my trip would have been worth it!
          Since my Monday was such a success, the rest of my week was going to be icing on the cake! I have met so many wonderful people, our translators have been fantastic and I have been shown so much kindness by people that do not even know me. Today, the Lord allowed me to witness something that I will never forget. Twelve people were baptized in the river. They are twelve people that I cannot communicate with other than smiles, handshakes and hugs, but they are people that I will see again because they are now my family. We share the God that loves, heals, protects, provides and saves!
          If you are not yet a believer in the God that I get to serve, then I pray that you will! If you are a believer, then you need to know that you have brothers and sisters in other parts of the world. Pray for our brothers and sisters! If you have not yet been to Honduras, I urge you to come. You will not regret the blessings that you will receive, they are far greater than the blessings you can give. It is life changing. We are called to GO and SHARE... Matthew 28:19-20. 

Sarah Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment