Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Today was a whirlwind of emotions! We started out much like we did Monday with Mark, Edgardo, Steve, and Samuel (translator) at the table. Edgardo had done his "homework" well and had lots of questions for Mark. Mark again did a great job answering him. After they finished we got in the pickup and drove to the orphanage in the town of Copan. Samuel had arranged for us to meet the children at the orphanage and deliver some clothes and shoes. These children will probably live there until they are 18, and then they will have to leave. It is unclear where they will go...most will take to the streets unless they can find someone who will give them a job. These are precious children who love physical contact. I think that amazed me the most was when we walked in with three suitcases full of clothes and shoes the children did not crowd around to see what we brought. They barely even glanced at the suitcases. As soon as we walked in they all sat down on the steps, but when we went where they were the youngest ones wanted to be held. That was NOT a problem for Connie or me either one! While we held and loved on the children Mark spoke to one of the men there. The director, Daisy, broke her leg and was at home. She couldn't be there.

Before we got to the orphanage, Samuel told us the smells were going to be really bad. He was not kidding. The smells were overwhelming when we first walked in, but it seemed as if God just took that away from us almost immediately. He let us smell it just long enough to understand the condition these children are living in, but not enough that we couldn't do what we were called to do. These children needed human contact and love, and that's what we gave them. God never ceases to amaze me with the way He takes care of our every need as He is allowing us to see a glimpse of an entirely different world for these children. My heart grieves for what these children have already endured and will continue to endure. I pray that God will send Honduran couples to love these children as their own.

After we left the orphanage we went back to the Mission House for lunch. Yadira fixed a dish with noodles, chicken, and veggies. There was fresh fruit and blackberry juice as well. Yum! Connie and I have asked how we can help her several times, but she finally told us she was El Jeffe (the boss) of the kitchen! She is a precious lady that loves Jesus and loves to serve others.

After lunch Edgardo wanted to take the guitar we brought to one of the Chorti villages in the mountains. Heath Haynes travelled to Honduras with Brother Ned a couple of months ago and was led to send them a guitar. At the village we were able to park right beside the house we would meet in...(No walking up mountains!!) When Edgardo brought the guitar in I thought the men were going to cry. They were so proud to get it. One of the men tuned it and began playing. He played and he and Edgardo sang. (I posted a video of it on my Facebook page.) Then he played some more and all the people sang. The only contribution we gringoes could make was to clap as they sang! :) It was a beautiful sound to hear them singing praises to God. After Mark and Edgardo spoke to them they sang some more. Then they wanted us to sing. Samuel knew one song in English ("Open The Eyes Of My Heart, Lord") on the guitar so he played and sang with us. He then sang the same song in Spanish so they could hear what we were singing.

Before we left they wanted us all to pray together. They have many prayer needs. One of the village leaders wanted us to pray for his wife who has an ulcer. I'm not sure where she was at the time. Their focus was praying for us since we came so far to see them, but they also wanted to pray for Heath for being so generous in giving them a guitar. As I sat in that tiny, house with packed-dirt for a floor, with chickens and dogs running through the open doorways, with nursing babies and toddlers running back and forth to their parents, I truly felt God was speaking to me personally. These people have so little, and all of their focus is on learning more about Christ, and praying for us! Wow! What an humbling experience.

On the way back down the mountain I traded places with Steve. I told him I would ride standing up in the back with Mark. He reminded me it looked like it would rain again and I told him I had my rain poncho. He offered me his sturdier poncho but I refused. I had one of my own and it would be fine. LOL!!!! As we got to the main road the rain really began coming down hard. My poncho was flapping behind me because we were moving at a pretty good pace. The next thing I know I start feeling water all down my back. I'm thinking my poncho must have gotten twisted. I soon found out it had begun shredding! By the time we got back to the Mission House I was soaked and the poncho was a thing of the past. There is a picture posted that shows me with my shredded poncho. I'm sure my girls are happy since they never really liked that thing in the first place. Lol!

It rained all afternoon and into the evening. It eased up long enough for us to walk to Jim's for supper. When we got back to the Mission House it started again and rained off and on all night.

Blessings to you all!
Trisha


1 comment:

  1. Praise God for your desire to serve Him and others, and for open hearts to receive God's Love!!

    ReplyDelete