Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Honduras from Christa

English or Spanish. USA or Honduras. Duck, duck, goose or pato, pato, gonzo. I am amazed, though I shouldn't be, at how things are so much the same in such different places. Despite the language or country we are all in such great need of the same things. Love, laughter, provision for our families, and most of all...Jesus Christ.
I have to admit that I am truly humbled by the gratitude of the people in the villages we have visited. They are so grateful for crayons and soccer balls, for having learned to make better use of their land, for sharing Bible stories, and for us just coming to visit and play duck, duck goose with the children.
I am overwhelmed at the way they have shared Jesus with these villages. I honestly have to say that it is one of the best examples I have ever seen of taking Jesus to the people that need him. The missionaries and workers at the ag project have taught these families how to better provide for themselves by using better farming techniques, and by taking time to teach them, have opened their hearts to receive the real gift of Jesus.
I have learned that I have much to learn when it comes to really sharing Jesus. Thank God that He isn't finished with me yet.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.. this brought tears to my eyes! As I've seen you Christa, almost on a day-to-day basis, hug and love on our own American children at school. What a blessing you are to those kids there! I know your sincere smile and warm hug has touched so many!
    Love you guys!
    Riki

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something universal about the innocence of childhood, no matter one's geographic location or sometimes even circumstance. Kids know how to love, know how to enjoy life, know how to be themselves. As adults, we have to work at these things. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and DO NOT HINDER them (emphasis mine), for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." Thanks for being used by God to reaquaint me with the hearty simplicity that is having a child-like faith.

    Love you guys.

    Matt Swinnea

    ReplyDelete