Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mark from Honduras

It's been a great week. It was over a year ago that my family first began praying and planning to come to Honduras. We know now that God planned all along for us to be here this week with this team. We have been blessed beyond measure by the hospitality we've been shown. We have felt very welcome everywhere we've been. The Hondurans are a very gracious and appreciative people.

Each day was different, but was just what God planned. We told stories, played games, shared our testimonies, sang (English & Spanish), and made crafts. It was awesome to watch each team member's gifts reveal themselves throughout the week.

In many ways the Hondurans are very different than us. The most obvious is the extreme poverty in which they live. It makes me both grateful and embarrassed to have so many material possessions. I realized early in the week that we work to get more "stuff" while they work to survive and feed their families. They were so appreciative of every little thing we did for them. Another difference I noticed is the passion in which they worship. They are uninhibited in their prayers, singing and in the way they share their faith. As the week went on I realized we were also alike in some ways. In many of the villages the people were very interested as we sang and told stories, but later I realized they were very religious, but were lacking a relationship with Christ. Sadly, this reminded me of myself at times and of many of the worship services we have in the States. We have become very comfortable with what we know "about" Jesus and often neglect "knowing" Him. This week has made me desire to deepen my relationship with Him and to be more open and bold in sharing my faith with others.

I want to thank our church for supporting us both financially and in prayer during this week. It has truly been a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment