Friday, July 8, 2011

Whitney Warren- July 8, 2011

Our time here has come to an end. It's kind of surreal that we will be back in the states soon, when not 24 hours ago we were investing our time, effort, faith and tears into the lives of the Chorti people, as they inched their way into the hearts of ours. What a breaking and humbling experience it is to enter the lives of people groups who find things like small sources of water or pieces of fruit with sugar sprinkled on it as a luxury when our expectations are taken directly to not water consumption but temperature preference and not rationing sugar to a pinch but using sugar by the cup. The seemingly minute things of America are instantly taken for granted when exposed to the sad reality of what it means to truly be in need. Yet when I looked upon the faces of these Chorti men and women, children and adults, when I felt the love and thanksgiving of their hearts, I felt like I was the one missing something, not them. We taught them stories of the Bible and the truth of Jesus Christ, but they taught me faith that can move mountains and a genuine surrender to the God who overflows with grace and mercy. I can only pray that my newly acquired perspective doesn't diminish but enhances with time, that my gaze is constantly on the eyes of the Lord and my body to His service.

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." -Luke 9:23

-Whitney


No comments:

Post a Comment